Monday, May 6, 2013

Need

I just got the new ASUS Cube with Google TV device. I have really enjoyed the features. I also have a Roku attached to the same TV. Other devices in my system include a Yamaha A/V receiver, 42" LG LED TV, Dish Network Hopper DVR, LG Blu-ray player, and an XBox 360. I have this all controlled via a Control 4 system using a single remote.

All my devices can be controlled via infrared sent from a remote. This allows any universal remote to be able to control them. That is, with the exception of the ASUS Cube. I did some research and this is also the case with all 2nd generation Google TV devices. They are controlled via the supplied bluetooth remote or an IP-based remote such as your Android phone/tablet. The intent is to use the remote that came with the Google TV and use it as a universal remote which utilizes the IR blaster port on the back to send IR to your other devices. This would be great if the device didn't only come with a single IR emitter, and if it was capable of controller more than 2 devices. As it sits, if you use a 2nd generation Google TV device in your main entertainment system, you will need to use more than 1 remote to control your system.

To me, because the purpose of the Google TV device is to compliment your TV service, it should also have the ability to seemlessly integrate into your entertainment system. Right now, the only practical use for most people to be able to effectively use it, is to place it in a bedroom or office where you have a limited amount of equipment to control. Being a veteran of the custom home electronics industry for 10 years, this does not bode well for me. The Google TV device is a great device for complimenting your cable/satellite programming, and this feature was obviously overlooked by the manufacturers.

This brings me to my project of finding a way to control my ASUS Cube via infrared to be able to integrate it into my entertainment system.

No comments:

Post a Comment